12.16.2017

12 Days of Christmas || all about the BOOKS||



||DAY Three||

YAY Books!!!! *distant shrieking* I adore books. And I don't mean the things that you read on your kindle. I mean REAL living and breathing books. The way they smell. Feel. Seeing them piled on your bookshelf. Honestly a fitting description of 
 My book obsession would be called an addiction.  Guysss u should see my bookshelf if you don't believe me:D 
Okay I'll stop rambling and get on with my post. 😉 
Here are a few Christmas books that I've gathered and I personally LOVE. 


A  Christmas Carol 
By Charles Dickens 

|Description|
A Christmas Carol is a novella by English author Charles Dickens. It was first published by Chapman & Hall on 19 December 1843. Carol tells the story of a bitter old miser named Ebenezer Scrooge and his transformation resulting from a supernatural visit by the ghost of his former business partner Jacob Marley and the Ghosts of Christmases Past, Present and Yet to Come. The novella met with instant success and critical acclaim. The book was written and published in early Victorian era Britain, a period when there was strong nostalgia for old Christmas traditions together with the introduction of new customs, such as Christmas trees and greeting cards. Dickens' sources for the tale appear to be many and varied, but are, principally, the humiliating experiences of his childhood, his sympathy for the poor, and various Christmas stories.

|My Review|
So I guess I should confess that I actully never read the book*cough cough* BUT I have listen to Focus on the Families radio theater version of it. Which by the way was AMAZING!! So I'm sure the book is fantastic!!

___________

Silent Night
By Stanley Weintrsub

 |Discription|
Christmas time in 1914, blood enemies emerged from their trenches in Flanders Field in Belgium, shook hands, and wished each other a merry Christmas. In his newest book, Weintraub (A Stillness Heard Round the World: The End of the Great War) draws on letters, diaries, and a variety of other source material to tell the inspiring story of the spontaneous Christmas Truce of World War I, when enemy troops laid down their arms, exchanged gifts, and reveled in their shared humanity. The desperate longing for peace, which Weintraub captures through the words of the soldiers themselves, underscores the poignancy of the ending of the truce, when outraged commanders ordered newly made friends to kill one another. 
|My Review|


Tall about a tear jerker! It is an awesome book that details the "Christmas Truce" and the before and after. It honestly helps you understand better World War I and how indeed Generals who basically knew nothing about war kept this war going with all the carnage and unnecessary deaths and maiming. this book literally explains WWI in such a succinct way. And, particularly how just a short distance behind the lines, life kind of just went on. A very very sobering and good read. *gets out the tissues*
____________

Christmas With Anne 
By L.M.Montgumery

|Description
Share Anne's delight at receiving the dress of her dreams, the joy of a young woman reunited with her long-lost brother on Christmas Eve, and the surprise of a trio of sisters who inadvertently end a family feud by arriving at the wrong uncle's house for Christmas dinner. 
L.M. Montgomery reveals the joys and trials of Christmas and the hope of the New Year in this moving collection, which will be treasured by her fans and by all readers who enjoy an old-fashioned Christmas.

|My review|
So L.M.Montgumery is probably my favorite author ever. Hands down.*YESS*  I've probably read the Anne of Green Gables series 15 times.  I love her books for their delightful characters, humor, and non-preachy wisdom. These stories are drawn from some of my favorite parts of the books. And now we get to see Anne celebrate Christmas through the years!! As ever this is a beautiful and compelling story, skillfully written for us to enjoy 😊
____________

 The Bridge
By Karen Kingsbury

|Description|
 What do you have  left when you lose everything? Kingsbury  works through that tough question in her newest novel. Charlie Barton and his wife, Donna, ran the Bridge, a historic bookstore in Franklin, Tennessee, for 30 years, but a declining industry and a devastating flood left them with an empty storefront and insurmountable bills. Molly Allen and Ryan Kelly connected in college over their passion for reading, using the Bridge as their getaway from the very different lives they lead. Years later, both look back and wonder what could have been. When Charlie gets into a horrible accident, Ryan decides to organize a book drive and gather donations, so Charlie can rebuild the bookstore when he heals. Through the effort, Ryan and Molly reconnect. It’s hard to know what is most important until something forces you to change your perspective. Kingsbury’s characters are confronted with the hard choices readers face daily. The award-winning author brings her trademark empathy for the people she writes for to this tale, and fans will love her dramatic take on real issues. 

|My Review|
 Loved this book*insert heart eyes* It touched my heart and soul so deeply and I will treasure it as one of my all-time favorite books. I love Molly and Ryan and of course Donna and Charlie!! I love how Karen wrote about love, hope, faith, and more importantly the power of God. I would recommend this story and author to anyone and I have every intention of reading more from her. If you want to read a story that will make you cry, open the cover to this one and be prepared to have tears dripping from your face lol. Better get some tissues :-)
______
Thanks for reading!! 
I would love to know what some of your favorite Christmas books are :D

-Janelle

8 comments:

  1. I actually have not read any of these! "The Bridge" is a book that I would really like to read though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like some really awesome books! I'm definitely going to get some of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the post! I love a Christmas Carol. Have you ever seen the movie? If not you should Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "A Christmas Carol" is a legit classic. Adding two others to my TBR!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't actually read any of these before. "The Bridge" sounds really good though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I am going to go buy the Christmas with Anne and Silent Night! They look fantastic! One of my favorite Christmas books is called Good Neighbors by T.l Tedrow. It is part of a series set after the Laura Ingalls Wilder original series. So it's based on true events where Laura and Manly are married and Rose is in high school! The author writes so amazingly! I also love Becuase of Bethlehem by Max Lucado. such a great devotional!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a message. It really means a lot to me! I’ll try and respond to each and every on of them.

Instagram