7.21.2017

Lets Talk Old Books







I love books in general BUT I think in my heart of hearts I love old books the best. You see to me old books have a story that no other books can have until they themselves become worn and frayed from being read hundreds of times. maybe there are tear stains (like most of my books) or the faint outline of a pressed flower.  You see what I'm trying to say is that old books have been loved. Loved for generations. They have character. Have you ever wondered as you held and old book in your hand who else read the same pages? I have. Sometimes I let my imagination run wild, and I think of all the places my book could have been...  Perhaps they were held by someone who treasured that book because of the person who gave it to them. Maybe it was picked up in a small bookshop and carried to far away places. I do not know. But isn't that part of the charm that old books have upon us. Its as if they have had a whole other life that we can only dream and wonder what they were.
And now here are some of the old books that I have in my collection.


1. Graustark By G.B.M'Cutcheon
One of my favorite reads!!!
A Princess of a tiny European country meets a handsome American while visiting the United States. She gives him a false name, not wishing him to know her true identity. Later, he travels to her country to find her, still not knowing who she is, and overhears a kidnapping plot against the Princess. He and his friend manage to foil the plot and rescue her, becoming heroes overnight. Of course, he now realizes there is one problem... the girl he has fallen in love with is a real, live Princess. 
To find out the rest you will have to buy the book (Evil laughter)



2. The Prince of Graustark By, George Barr M'Cucheon
As the title suggest this book is a sequel to the book above.
I really, really, really love this book! 
  
When Prince Robin reached adulthood his country was in financial crisis. William W. Blithers, a very rich and very vulgar American, offered to finance the country. He also hoped this would mean a match for his daughter. Although The two young people have very different ideas of their own about marriage.  Not that Robin is apposed to marriage, rather he has a particular fancies for a beautiful woman he met. They strike up a friendship, but (without giving you to many spoilers) lets just say all is not as it may appear to be.
   
Hows THAT  for a clift hanger???? (rubs hands together gleefully)                                                                                                                                          3. Lavender and Old Lace by Myrtle Reed.                                                                                               
               The story pulls you in at first because there's there's some sort of mystery brought in right at the beginning. The main character, Ruth (a career girl who works at a newspaper office), is house-sitting for her aunt in a small village by the sea somewhere on the East Coast in America. The mystery is that her aunt insists she must light an oil lamp every night and leave it in the attic of the window facing the sea. During the story Ruth is trying to figure out why she must do this, and find if it is connected to an old beautiful woman who lives nearby and a story behind some newspaper clippings in the attic and some notes she's found. During all this she meets a young man who happens to work in the same place she does who is on sick leave, and they become friends. (You can guess where that goes.)  But there is something amiss and Ruth is determined to get to the bottom of it. 




All of these books can be found on Amazon kindle or if you would rather have the paper copy (Which you really should get) you can buy them on E bay for like $5 dollars,



Let all you do be done in love.

-Janelle



6 comments:

  1. I don't think I ever herd of the book about the European Princess. It sounds very exciting. I am thinking about getting it. How much is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it all depends on where you buy it from, but probably less than $10.00 dollars 😀

      Delete
    2. Ok great thanks Janelle! Sounds like good price.

      Delete
    3. I Love your post Janelle can't wait for more!

      Delete
  2. First and foremost what a fantastic post!! I cherish old books and love having them in my "library".. I love the simple, elegant way in which they are written... Have you ever read any of the "Cherry Ames" series? I LOVE the one I have. Also "Becky's Island" is really good! I am interested in these books and might indulge in them...[;

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this quote by one of my favorite authors: "Some books are so familiar that reading them is like being home again." -Louissa May Alcott

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a message. It really means a lot to me! I’ll try and respond to each and every on of them.

Instagram