10.25.2017

//World War Recommendations//





So I may sort of have an addiction. *distant sigh* I love, no let me rephrase, I adore World War FICTION or really any types of World War  books.
But alas for the past while and I havent been finding any of those books *sobbing*
___
When i was younger I would dream what my life would have been like had I been born 100 years ago. And as I grew older I began to realize what the people of the 20th century went through. The intense pain that the mothers, daughters and, wives went through as they Watched their loved ones go and defend their country, not knowing if they would ever see them again. The courage of the soldiers as they faced the enemy and, almost certain death. 
What I came to realize and understand was that though some may say that the 20th century would have been a terrible time to live in, I one hundred percent disagree.
 I think of Winston Churchill who fearlessly lead England during the horrible Bombing of London and declared that England would NEVER give in, or the Brave Doctors and Nurses on the battle field rescuing the wounded.
Soldiers like Alvin York who along with 17 other Americans single-handedly captured 132 German soldiers, What courage! what bravery!
 To be Charles Lindbergh and have made the first solo airplane flight across the Atlantic ocean.
I could go on and on and on.... It would have been an honor nay a privileged for me to have lived at the same time as those brave Men and Women who gave everything for their King and Country.

  |So if you have World War 2 or World War1 books/series that you love, I would be so very happy if yall would share some of them with me|😁😁

//Here are a list of books that I have already read in this particular genera.//

●Pear Harbor. Gahh so amazing. I literally cried my eyes out

●Daughters of Fortune series by, Judeth  Pella

●Rila of Inglside, by Lm.Montgumery

● True stories from D Day

And for some reason my mind  just went blank on all the other world War books that I have read... So yeah *awkward pause*  maybe that's all the World War books that I've read????
I'm not even sure at this point.
 ANYWAY moving on. As you now can see I am in Desperate need of some recommendations 😁😁
So I look forward to seeing what  references y'all have For me!
______
Until next time,
Janelle

16 comments:

  1. *sees the word 'recommendation'* Did someone call me? xD I also LOVE that era, especially WWII. Here's a whole boatload of book recs for you!! :D


    Fiction:
    Anything by Sarah Sundin (her books are SO good :D)
    "Interrupted" by Rachel Coker
    "A Question of Honor", "A Question of Courage", "As in Olden Days", "Beyond the Horizon", "Dark Storm Rising", and "A Place Called Lonesome" by Jesseca Wheaton
    "You're the Cream in My Coffee" by Jennifer Lamont Leo
    "The Fences Between Us" by Kirby Larson and My Secret War" by Mary Pope Osborne (These two are part of the Dear America books.)
    "A Christmas Gift for Rose" by Tricia Goyer
    "I Survived: The Nazi Invasion, 1944" and "I Survived: The Bombing of Pearl Harbor, 1941" by Lauren Tarshis (These two are technically 'kid books', but they're good. :))


    Non-fiction:
    "The Other Side of Infamy" by Jim Downing
    "Rosie the Riveter" by Penny Coleman
    "G.I. Joe and Lillie" by Joseph Bonsall
    "Faith Under Fire" by Steve Rabey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sees all the long list of books and rejoices* Oh my stars thank you!! Although I suspect my stash of 'book money' will significantly decrease.. 😁 I have a ton of Civil War era books and the like but Was seriously lacking in this particular category.... until now😉😉
      *starts buying books*

      Delete
    2. Haha, yup! You're welcome! Also, I don't know where you usually buy books, but I found many of those on sale at places like CBD, Thriftbooks, and Amazon. I hope you enjoy!!

      Delete
    3. I buy most of my books from Thriftbooks. I adore that website. There books are Usually a fraction of the price of other websites!

      Delete
  2. Janelle, I read 'Rila of Inglside' and I absolutely LOVED it!!! I would have tears rolling down my cheeks at one moment, and then burst out laughing the next! (=
    and I can't wait to read the others you recommended!
    Yours Truly,
    Karilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my dear EVERY time!!!! Those books have a very special place in my heart.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janelle I absolutely love your post! I had the same thought about what I would have been like back in the 20th century if I were born.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too was so fascinated with this era and thought it was would be so...exciting and maybe even fun! But after reading more I was amazed at the terrible pain these people experienced! Without a battle there can be no victory! And without war there can be no war heroes! It is through events such as this that shows who the heroes and brave ones really are! I hope that makes sense, I am terrible at explaining things! Anyway, I wholeheartedly agree with you!
    My recommendations to you are:
    My Secret War [the same as mentioned above! It was great!]
    The Singing Tree by Kate Seredy [ My favorite thing about it is that it shows World War 1 from a Hungarian child's perspective. We read a lot about the America so it was very interesting to learn about it from this view! I absolutely loved it!]
    The Night Flyers by Elizabeth McDavid Jones
    Voices at Whisper Bend by Katherine Ayres
    Rumblings of War and War Strikes by Norma Lutz [These books are both part of a series called "American Adventure", it starts all the way from the Mayflower and goes to the 1950's I think! Anyway it's great!]
    Molly [American Girl, ok I realize this is meant for 10 year old's but occasionally when I want some light reading I read them for old time's sake. Bonus is that I can read them in like an hour! [;

    Toodles!
    Melody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that! Victory is sacrifice. Without brave men who gave up their lives for freedom there would be no victory.
      I think I read The Singing Tree, and yes I loved the 'American Adventures' series. The Molly books were also a favorite of mine 😊😊

      Delete
  6. Oh me too! have you seen the movie? I have and I like it a lot. I also have the Molly doll from when I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "But Not Forsaken" by Helen Good Brenneman is really good. Also "Laura's Victory" by Veda Boyd Jones (a sister in time book) is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read Laura's victory, but not the other one. I'll have to check it out.
      Thanks !

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Which book? Laura's Victory is about a girl during WWll, who's brother is off fighting and a lot of other stiff is going on. But Not Forsaken is about a family in Russia that gets separated. They are both really good.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a message. It really means a lot to me! I’ll try and respond to each and every on of them.

Instagram